This is a very common problem in WordPress. No matter how hard you try to upload favicon using WordPress customizer. It’s not working (WordPress site icon not working). Just showing a black icon.
There are several issues for this problem:
- Theme issues – Most of the free themes are outdated and those themes do not support for latest standards.
- Plugin issues – Some plugins overwrite Favicon meta tags. (Priority issues)
- Icon format – The standard format for Favicon is
.icobut it does support for
How to fix WordPress Favicon?
- Login to your WordPress website and navigate to
Plugins > Add Plugin.
- In the search bar type ‘ Favicon by RealFaviconGenerator ↱ ‘. Install and activate the plugin.
- Now, navigate to
Appearance > Favicon.
- Select the image that you need to add as the Favicon (recommended: 260×260 or more). The format must be
- Then, you will be redirected to their website (do not close it). Wait for the process and scroll down to the bottom.
Generate Favicon and HTML code. Wait for the process and you will be redirected back to your WordPress admin dashboard.
- Fixed! 😉
Don’t deactivate the plugin. If you deactivate the plugin, you Favicon won’t work again. It’ so lightweight. Don’t need to worry about performance.